Presentation in Brussels of the International Statement Women of the World
130 organizations from 70 different countries defend feminine identity and motherhood at national and international institutions (Press Release)
The International Statement Women of the World, an initiative promoted by the Spanish organization Profesionales por la Etica (Professionals for Ethics) in coalition with Femina Europa (France) and Woman Attitude (Belgium) was presented at the European Parliament in Brussels on 3rd March 2015.
Women of the World has been supported by 130 NGOs from 70 different countries from all five continents including Endeavour Forum Inc. There was participation of Latin American NGOs as well as that of countries like Iraq, Kyrgyzstan, Morocco, Gabon, Republic of Congo, Burkina Faso, Turkmenistan, Lebanon, New Caledonia, Trinidad and Tobago, Haiti, Bosnia, Herzegovina, Ukraine and Kenya. The presentation was performed by Leonor Tamayo, president of Profesionales por la Etica, Martha Thes representing the International Federation of the Institute for Family Policies (IPF), Benedicte Mordacq, as speaker of Femina Europa and Laetitia Pouliquen, on behalf of Woman Attitude. The countries with the highest number of individual signatures were from Spain, Croatia, France, Italy, Mexico and Argentina.
Women of the World has been translated into 12 different languages, including Japanese and Arabic, and its goal is to become a new voice of women at the national and international institutions. Martha Thes, from the International Federation of the Institute for Family read the Statement in which signing NGOs and women demand:
1. Universal recognition and respect of the feminine identity, its dignity and true equality between men and women in their complementarity and reciprocity.
2. International policies in defense of women's freedom to choose their dedication to the family, which implies true reconciliation between family and working life.
3. Universal recognition in international legislation of the value of the silent and apparently invisible women's work inside their families and the universal management of the term "exclusive dedication to the family" as a labour group.
4. An international frame of policies of protection for working women who want to have children or are dedicated exclusively or partially to the care and attention of their family and the eradication of any form of discrimination towards them.
5. Universal prohibition of surrogate motherhood. Surrogacy is a violation of the dignity of both the surrogate mother and the child. It is a new form of exploitation of women and human trafficking, making the child the object of a contract.
Leonor Tamayo stated that "up until now gender ideology and radical feminism has tried to monopolise the voice and opinion of women. But that is now finished. It is our turn, the turn of new feminism, of the women who speak in terms of women. We will not accept anymore that the international institutions develop policies that ignore, fight or suppress feminine identity. Women of the World has the objective to make the international institutions listen to what we, the Women of the World, think, believe and want".
On her part, Laetitia Pouliquen, from Women Attitude, announced that simultaneous presentations of the Statement Women of the World will be held just before the International Women's Day, on March 5th in Spain, Ecuador, Honduras, Guatemala, Peru, Polonia, Mexico, USA and will be part of other events in Colombia and Iraq. She also announced that Women of the World will be presented in New York on March 14th at the UN Headquarters as part of the events of the 59th NGO Committee on the Status of Women.
To conclude, Leonor Tamayo broke the news that, after the presentation in New York City, Women of the World will become a universal Platform to work at the International institutions and worldwide national governments as the new voice of women.